For this game, you will need a large, clear space. A large room, gym, field, or other outdoor space is best. Have everyone stand in the middle of the space. The leader of this game is the "captain," everyone else are the "sailors."
There are 3 rules to this game:
1. The captain calls out directions, and all the sailors follow.
2. Sailors who cannot (or do not) complete a command must sit out until the next round.
3. The last one or two people standing are the winners.
Here are some of the directions you can call out:
- "The Captain is Coming:" Everyone stands at attention and salutes the captain and must remain that awy until the order "at ease" is given.
- "Swab the Deck:" Everyone acts like they are mopping the floor.
- "Lighthouse:" Everyone gets into pairs. Facing each other and holding hands, they move in a circle.
- "Sea Sick:" Everyone acts... well... sea sick.
- "Row Ashore:" Everyone gets into groups of four. They line up single file, facing the same direction, and act like they are rowing a boat together while singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."
- "Disco on Deck:" Everyone dances.
- "Bow:" Everyone moves to the front of the space.
- "Stern:" Everyone moves to the back of the space.
- "Port:" Everyone moves to the left side of the space.
- "Starboard:" Everyone moves to the right side of the space.
This game can sometimes get crazy, especially when participants start to get "out." Have a game plan for those who are sitting on the sidelines.
This is a fun, energetic game that you can play for long periods of time. It keeps kids of all ages entertained!